On January 15, 2024, people living in provinces where the federal fuel charge applies will receive their first pollution pricing rebate of the year through direct bank deposit or by cheque.

“Canadians will start noticing payments arriving in their bank accounts and mailboxes starting Monday. These rebate payments are the other half of the carbon pollution pricing system, with eight out of 10 families actually getting more back than they pay,” said Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Environment and Climate Change

“The federal pollution pricing system is not only supporting the everyday affordability challenges of Canadians, but is a key part of our plan to fight climate change, contributing about a third of our overall emissions reduction goal.”

This means a family of four will receive a pollution price rebate, called the Climate Action Incentive payment, in the following amounts:

  • $386 in Alberta
  • $264 in Manitoba
  • $184 in New Brunswick
  • $328 in Newfoundland and Labrador
  • $248 in Nova Scotia
  • $244 in Ontario
  • $240 in Prince Edward Island
  • $340 in Saskatchewan

Eight out of 10 households receive more money back through the pollution price rebate than they pay as a result of the federal pollution pricing system, with low- and middle-income households benefitting the most.

Residents of small and rural communities receive an extra 10 percent supplement beyond the base rebate amount. As of April 2024, the Government will double the rural supplement to 20 percent, in recognition of the increased energy needs of rural residents and their reduced access to cleaner transportation options.

As 2024 kicks off, the Government of Canada reiterates its commitment to pollution pricing and its crucial role in meeting targets to cut emissions by 40 percent below 2005 levels by 2030 and achieve net-zero emissions by 2050. Estimates show that pollution pricing will contribute about a third of the total reductions in emissions that will occur between now and 2030. Putting a price on pollution and returning the proceeds to eligible Canadians through rebates provides support for individuals and families while also maintaining an incentive to reduce emissions.

See also  Purpose ESG names new chair for board of directors
Next quarterly pollution pricing rebate payment amounts for January 2024
AB MB ON SK NL NS PEI* NB
First adult $193 $132 $122 $170 $164 $124 $120 $92
Second adult $96.50 $66 $61 $85 $82 $62 $60 $46
Each child $48.25 $33 $30.50 $42.50 $41 $31 $30 $23
Family of four $386 $264 $244 $340 $328 $248 $240 $184
Notes:

* As all PEI residents are considered to be living in a small and rural community, amounts are not specified for urban versus rural individuals. The amounts for PEI can thus be considered as reflecting the rural supplement.

In provinces where the federal pollution price applies, 90 per cent of pollution pricing proceeds is returned directly to households through pollution price rebate payments. The other 10 per cent is used to support small- and medium-sized enterprises, Indigenous groups, and farmers.

Residents of Canada don’t need to apply to receive the pollution pricing rebate. They need to file their income tax and benefit return to automatically receive the payments they are entitled to.

For further information, visit Environment Canada’s website: How Carbon Pricing Works

Featured image credit: Getty Images

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here